Friday, May 02, 2008

Gas Tax Takes a Holiday

18 - that is amount (in cents) of the federal gas tax per gallon.

16 - that is the number of gallons of gasoline my minivan holds.

2.88 - the amount of money I stand to save on every COMPLETE fill-up of my gas tank.

15 - the number of weeks, and consequently, the number of times I will fill-up (once per week), during the federal gas tax holiday.

43.20 - the amount of money I will save from the federal gas tax holiday.

Ah, what a relief. I will save nearly $45 dollars this summer is the federal gas tax is suspended from Memorial Day until Labor Day. Essentially, almost one "free" tank of gas, assuming the price does not continue to rise, which, unfortunately, it is certain to do. Is this really worth it? What can a consumer do with the extra $11 per month? What could the government do with the extra $11 per month per car on the road? What the consumer is overlooking is the fact that the federal government uses that money to dole out to states in order to have projects to build and repair national highways. Without that money roads will be in worse shape nd jobs will be lost. No thank you. I do not mind paying $11 per month per car (I have 2 cars, so $22 per month) if it will help the economy, if it will keep hundreds (many thousands?) of people in my state employed and keep roads in a somewhat decent condition. Is that a liberal idea? I don't think so, it is a smart idea.

What is more, the presidential hopefuls have sounded off on this issue of a federal gas tax holiday: McCain in favor, Clinton in favor, Obama opposed. I know that this is a single issue but I see it as more. To me, this is symbolic of the way each of these candidates will serve as our Chief Executive. The average perosn who does not take the time to actually consider the minimal impact of the 18 cent tax holiday will think that this is a wonderful idea, "hey, wow, it will lower gas prices!" But isn't that the way Washington has worked for decades (maybe even longer)? "Let's make the people we are helping them with this little thing while we hoodwink them with something else." It is their position in this type of maneuver that makes me believe that Barack Obama will be a different president. I believe that he will not play as many games with the people and actually work more for the average person. I believe that he will accept that the American citizen is intelligent enough to see through the Washington games and so not play them. Some argue that he does not possess the experience as a McCain and a Clinton. Maybe not, but maybe that can be an advantage. We have had YEARS of the same self-serving, Washington, politics beginning with as far back as I can remember, and maybe even farther (with the exception of perhaps of Jimmy Carter whose unwillingness to play along with the Washington status quo killed his chances at reelection).

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home