Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Christmas or Communism?

Ok, here is the dilemma. What are we going to do with political correctness and the "holidays"? I don't have an answer and I am not sure how I feel about it. Today, the Reverend Jerry Falwell and Christian Conservatives (don't get me started on that whole elitist minority) protested and ridiculed the Cityof Boston for renaming it's Christmas Tree a "Holiday Tree." I undertsand, they are entitled to their opinion, but what is really going on here? Where will this controversy end? Let's look at some of the alternatives.

1) If Boston, and other municipalities erect "Holiday Trees" they are showing that they are embracing many different traditions and cultures, even though those other cultures many not celebrate their holidays via a tree. By doing this, they face criticism from Christian Conservative groups (I prefer "Bible Thumping, war-monging, hate breeding, Elitists", but that is just my name for them).

2) If Boston, and other municipalities erect "Christmas Trees" they are opening themselves to criticism from other groups and cultures. They may even face lawsuits because they will be using tax-payer dollars (including taxes from peope who do not celebrate Christmas) to in some way finance this tree. (Yes, I know this tree was donated. But who foots the power bill for keeping the tree lit? Is it public land that this tree will be on?)

3) If Boston, and other municipalities erect "Christmas Trees" and equally brazen symbols of different holiday celebration of various cultures and religions, then the expenses will mount exponentially. Not to mention the law-suits that will be filed by all he groups who may oppose one or more of the religions, or who do not celebrate any of these cultural holidays.

A missing alternative... Communism! That's right, you heard me, Communism! Why don't we force our government to become like Communist nations with regard to religion and holidays? Take China, for example. Religoin is outlawed. The idea is that if people are devoted to religion or God, or gods, then they are not fully devoted to the well being of the state. Therefore, no symbols, no celebrations, no holidays, and DEFINATELY no "Trees": Christmas, Holiday, or otherwise. In this way, nobody is offended by any act of compromise of religion because there won't be any to complain about. Is that what we want?

What is the answer? I don't have one, and lucky for me, I don't have to have one. I haven't been elected to make such a decision. But if we want to become a culturally sterile society, let's go ahead and complain and sue our government at all levels when they try to compromise. Remember, this nation, which can still be a great nation, was founded by compromise. Compromise shows that we are trying to work together. When one group or another attmepts to force their views and beliefs on everyone, we don't have compromise, we tyranny. Oh yeah, remember tyranny, that little thing that our Constitution was designed to prevent? The little thing that inspired our founding fathers to write the Declaration of Independence?

So when Jerry Falwell, or anyone for that matter, speaks out and criticizes the government for trying to compromise and bridge the gaps in our society that have grown since 2001 (you might think I mean 9/11, nah, I mean the inauguration of George "W" Bush - remember the guy who claimed that God spoke to him, and then we reelected him? - yeah, in my job, if I claimed God spoke to me, I would probably be fired for forcing religion on my students and then be forced to seek psychiatric help for hearing voices), we get to see who the true tyrants are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home