Friday, January 20, 2006

Music With Meaning (vol. 1)

Music is one of those things that spark emotions: excitement, nostalgia, joy, sadness. What is it about music that can do that to us? I think it hits multiple senses. When a song really hits you it is because you hear it, it brings back memories, sights, smells, and feelings. Makes you think about the past, or maybe the future. Sometimes the same song that hits you might not even spark a second look by someone else.

"100 Years" by Five for Fighting is one of those songs that just caught me. I first heard it on ESPN, I was 33 (significant in the song). A couple of years back ESPN was filling in space on their Sportscenter by showcasing artists and their music. This song could easily be applied when reflecting on a sports career, and the group's name definately adds the sports flair. But when I heard it, I knew I had to hear it again. The music is simple. Piano solo to open with a simple melody. A slow, methodical, lamenting melody. Next the vocals, also lamenting. Reflective. Enter a subtle drum beat. Build in strength both the piano and the vocals. Reflective of one's understanding of their life. Confidence growing, a sense of duty, and marching on. Yet learning that things are passing by. Noticing that life is becoming more complicated, just like the music. Building to a climax that dimishes some before a final last gasp and crescendo. And then, falling again, to simple piano and fade.

"100 Years"
by Five for Fighting
I'm 15 for a moment
Caught in between 10 and 20
And I'm just dreaming
Counting the ways to where you are
I'm 22 for a moment
She feels better than ever
And we're on fire
Making our way back from Mars
15 there's still time for you
Time to buy and time to lose
15, there's never a wish better than this
When you only got 100 years to live
I'm 33 for a moment
Still the man, but you see I'm of age
A kid on the way
A family on my mind
I'm 45 for a moment
The sea is high
And I'm heading into a crisis
Chasing the years of my life
15 there's still time for you
Time to buy, Time to lose yourself
Within a morning star
15 I'm all right with you
15, there's never a wish better than this
When you only got 100 years to live
Half time goes by
Suddenly you’re wise
Another blink of an eye
67 is gone
The sun is getting high
We're moving on...
I'm 99 for a moment
Dying for just another moment
And I'm just dreaming
Counting the ways to where you are
15 there's still time for you
22 I feel her too
33 you’re on your way
Every day's a new day...
15 there's still time for you
Time to buy and time to choose
Hey 15, there's never a wish better than this
When you only got 100 years to live


If you have heard this song and not taken a moment to think about the words. It is heartbreaking. Yet it is hopeful. To me, I look back, I look ahead.

15. I remember handball at Bayview Ave., riding a bicycle where ever I needed to go, Young People's Day Camp, Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Keith Hernandez, Wally Backman, Gary Carter, and so on, pickup football games at Milburn, crushes on girls that really crushed my heart, wanting more, wanting to be older.

22. Queens College, trying to hold on to the past as it was and reconciling it with the new present and unknown future, FoodTown, "Drivers' Ed" Mobile, substitute teaching at FHS (and my first substantial paychecks), creating a future in my mind that never included anything but living on Long Island, feeling at the "top of my game" - invincible.

33. Evan, Michelle, Leesville Road High School and my students, hours of time spent at on home on work and not family, piling bills and debt, a leaking roof and more leaves than I know what to do with, Grandma Eleanor & Aunt Aggie in my memory, acknowlging my own mortality.

What about 45? 50? 67? 99? One thing if for sure, nothing was as sweet as 15. The whole world in front of us and not seeing it. Only until it hits us do we notice, and sometimes, not until after it passes us by. How cliche, but what I wouldn't give to be 15 again and understand whatI know now. And I am sure, at 50 I'll wish for 35 and understand what I will know then but only at 35. A good quote, or perhaps a paraphrase:

"Life can only be understood backwards, but must be lived forwards"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home